If have a website or if you want to be a blogger or earn through the Internet then you need to know what SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is. There are a few SEO terms commonly used on the Internet so you need to familiarize yourself with them. Some of you may already know these SEO terms so this post is a refresher but a must read for the beginners.
1. SEM: This term stands for Search Engine Marketing and is vastly used. It is used to market services via search engines. SEM has further classification described below
a) SEO: It stands for Search Engine Optimization and it deals with everything related to optimizing a website to make its pages appear in the organic search result.
b) PPC: It stands for Pay Per Click and by this technique, one can purchase clicks from the search engines.
2. Backlink: It is commonly known as inlink and it is a hyperlink on some other website or blog and points back to your website. Inlinks are important for SEO purposes and increase the PageRank of a webpage and affect its position in the search engines.
3. PageRank: It is one of the 300+ factors Google uses to determine the relevance and importance of pages. If a link on page A is pointing to page B then Google will determine the relevance of that link and will consider it as a vote of trust from page A for page B.
4. Title Tag: It is simply the title of the article but it has its own importance. The title should be unique; SEO optimized and should contain the keyword.
5. Link farm. These are used to increase the PageRank through an artificial way. In link farms, every website links to every other website but these techniques are considered “spam” by the search engines now days. You can be penalized if you use these techniques.
6. Meta Tags: Search engines look at the Meta tags to get the understanding of your website and the content available in it. You can place these tags in the HEAD section of the HTML code of your index page. These tags are not visible to the human visitors normally.
7. NoFollow: People seldom pay attention to this factor while commenting on blogs. Nofollow means that the website on which you are commenting does not endorse the link. Google does not count such links and nofollow links do nothing to improve your PageRank. However, you can get some quality traffic by commenting on blogs.
8. Link Sculpting: Webmasters used the nofollow attribute to utilize their PageRank to rank their own pages in the search engines via link sculpting. This technique is no longer useful now as Google handles the nofollow attribute in a different way.
9. Linkbait: It is a piece of information or web content written to attract the backlinks from other sites. It can be a webpage or a blogpost or it can be a picture or a video. A good example of “linkbait” is a top 5 or top 10 list that instantly becomes popular on social media sites.
10. Anchor text: It is a clickable word and highly important for SEO. Google and other search engines associate those keywords to your website and start ranking your pages accordingly.
Click the link below to read part 2 of the article